Saturday, June 4, 2011

Sodden realizations


I've been scratching my head trying to figure out the "Billy Situation". The problem is he keeps falling overboard.  This usually happens at night as he does his secret cat things,  and even though he floats like a beach ball, and climbs the pylons with expert ease, I hate that dreaded soft splash followed by the whining moan of a cat that is totally unhappy. I don't stay up nights worrying about this, but while considering this issue one morning,  something like a flash of inspiration lit the up the reptilian parts of my brain with one word- GRASS!  After all, where does he go on these nightly sojourns but to the parking lot where these is, yes, grass. I know this because the evidence of partially digested grass blades can be found in his pre-hairball spit up. Gotcha!

So I got some sod and planted it in a window box. Coming home the next day I had to smile when I saw Billy, so busy making love to the grass, that he failed to sound the alarm at my arrival. I'm sure this will not completely solve the overboard issue, but it was ten bucks well spent anyway.

Our neighbors were very curious as to why we had a roll of sod on board. After joking that it was to sod the cockpit in Me Voy, something that we did kinda consider, we explained that it was for Billy. Our neighbor then went on to ask...

"So did Chopper get any grass too?"


Without skipping a beat Travis replied, "Yeah, but he smoked all his already" :)

5 comments:

judith said...

LOL, I love it!!! I planted some 'cat grass' for Gracie about a month ago. When I go back to McK to get my hair cut in a couple of weeks I'll pick up a packet to mail to you, you just sprinkle it in a flower pot and they have their own little smorgasbord of different grasses that cats love. The turf idea is great!

judith said...

Another thing, I learned when a cat eats grass it's to help make them throw-up, they throw-up because they have a blockage, the blockage is most often hairballs. Get some Laxitone. You can get it from a vet or at the pet store. It's a gel that they love. I just put a quarter size squirt in a little dish and Gracie goes nuts over it, like it's crack or something. Sometimes I use it to get her to come in the house when I have to leave.

Laura and Hans said...

Too stinking funny!

Travis and Maggie said...

I'll have to try that Laxitone. I planted cat grass too but Billy likes the regular old ghetto grass better.

Anonymous said...

I genuinely appreciate your web-site. Thank you for your insights and guidance.